This is an initial statement of ambition on shared commitments to engage senior leaders within Scotland's environment sector, as part of Inspiring Digital Transformation within the Environment Sector in Scotland.
The Statement was prepared in November 2020.
We are currently seeking signatories to the Statement. If you are interested, please get in contact.
Following the webinar with senior leaders, we have been openly developing the following Shared Statement of Ambition:
The scale of the environmental challenge that humanity is facing should not be underestimated. As one of the first countries in the world to declare a climate emergency, Scotland has set a world-leading target of being net zero by 2045. At the same time, the Scottish Government has recognised biodiversity loss as an equally pressing issue. In order to progress towards the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, there is a real urgency to act.
As senior leaders from some of Scotland’s leading environment organisations, including charities and government agencies, we want to accelerate the transition to a more sustainable way of living. Our collective ambition is to explore how we can use innovative digital technology to address the twin challenges of biodiversity loss and climate change, whilst at the same time helping us to secure a green recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.
Through improved scientific understanding, streamlined internal operations and more targeted public engagement, we can all be better informed, more effective and better focused on tackling these pressing issues, while empowering the public to help us on this journey to a nature-rich, net zero future.
We want to:
1. Inspire the environment sector to have a shared interest in advancing digital transformation, while learning from others.
2. Use digital approaches to mobilise greater action in order to tackle the biodiversity and climate crises.
3. Encourage shared learning and collective innovation in order to scale up efforts to reverse the loss of Scotland’s biodiversity and to reach net zero.
4. Identify the greatest environmental imperatives for digital transformation and how these can be best resourced.
5. Engage in digital technology which is consistent with environmental sustainability for people and the planet.
We are exploring the following potential commitments: